The new Captain America trailer

March 24, 2011

object width=”520″ height=”242″>

What think?

7 Comments

• Comment by tmfw — Mar 24,2011 at 4:00 pm

Are they waiting until the sequel for Winghead to go all sexually ambigous when they introduce his youthful sidekick with the rubbery buttocks Bucky?

• Comment by Philip Martin — Mar 24,2011 at 4:06 pm

Looks like he’s on performance enhancing drugs to me. Cheater.

• Comment by tmfw — Mar 25,2011 at 8:54 am

Steve Rogers was the first guy to ever use “the clear.”

• Comment by Dennis — Mar 27,2011 at 9:12 pm

One can never again experience the original first love
    of those summers within the Silver Age of Comics
    when the thought of Marvel’s characters coming
    to life on the big screen, or on any screen, was a
    hopeless dream. And who would have thought that
    technology would so equal or surpass the imagination
    of the comic book frames?

Today, now is the comic book geek/freak’s Silver Age of Movies.
    CGI has replaced or enhanced Jack Kirby, John Romita
    and Gil Kane, among others. But the key is in the story
    and in the writing, and every Stan Lee wannabe of the
    movies is raising the bar at each premiere, with a few
    exceptions.

One question: am I a bigot for being a bit perturbed with
    the comic book and movie reintroduction of Nick Fury as
    an African American (tho I am a huge fan of Samuel L Jackson)?
    Further, I am peeved about the rewrite of the butler in “Arthur”,
    transforming him into a woman (again, I am a huge fan
    of Dame Helen, used to frequently see her and spouse
    Taylor Hackford in the Fr Qtr, love ’em both). I have not seen
    Arthur and I am not a big fan of Russell Brand. One could
    say “get over it. Dudley Moore and John Gielgud did their
    gig 30 years ago. And you are far, far too old for Katy Perry!”

• Comment by Linton — Mar 28,2011 at 10:49 am

The Fury/Jackson thing didn’t bother me. I like that recent film adaptations of comic characters are tweaking them just the right amount but remaining so much closer to the spirit of the originals.

I like that they are setting it during WWII. If they’d set it during modern times (which the character will inevitably be put in when they make the Avengers film), there would be such a temptation to put in all sorts of subtexts to the modern War on Terror and the ethical dilemmas that have been raised. I thought the first Iron Man film touched on such things about as much as I want a superhero movie to.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice the “Mr.Stark” mention in the Cap trailer? Has to be Tony’s father. Love the way they are tying all the franchises together.

• Comment by Philip Martin — Mar 28,2011 at 11:38 am

My own Captain America is probably the Golden Age one, which I encountered circa 1967 in a book that I believe was a re-issue of a 1940s story. All I really remember is that Bucky was prominently featured, and he was for some reason installed — undercover? — in an insane asylum presided over by the Red Skull.

It still informs my nightmares — Bucky was in a hospital gown throughout and the gothic gray architecture of the hospital was like something out of a Patrick McGrath novel. It was sadder than it was scary, sad enough to make me cry.

• Comment by keith71_98 — Mar 30,2011 at 2:59 pm

I admit I have a soft spot for comic book films. I love them when they are good (The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-Man 2) and get pretty ticked when they stink (X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, Jonah Hex). Captain America has always been my favorite Marvel guy. Still have early 60’s comics with some of his first appearences with the Avengers.

That said, I’ve been concerned about this film. I wasn’t a fan of Evans as Cap. I do like the supporting cast (Jones, Tucci, and Weaving) so I hold out hope. The trailer did more to ease my concerns than add to them. But it’s still gonna be a wait & see movie.